Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Traditions~Christmas Pudding!

Welcome dear Christmas friends. Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting me today, Day 7 of my 12 Days of Christmas Traditions Series!


I have really enjoyed putting this series together and I am learning so many fascinating things from my fellow bloggers. I have also been enjoying the posts that people have shared each day so thank you very much for linking up your special Christmas blog posts! If you would like to join in too, here is the program for the series:

December 3 ~ Gingerbread Houses
December 4 ~ Oh, Christmas Tree!
December 6 ~ Christmas Stockings
December 7 ~ Christmas Puddings
December 8 ~ Christmas Traditions around the world.
December 9 ~ Let's Eat:Christmas Foods and Yummy Treats!
December 10 ~ Christmas Music
December 11 ~ The Spirit of Christmas
December 12 ~ I'll be home for Christmas Linky Party!


Today's post is dedicated to the quintessential Christmas treat, Christmas Pudding!



Today I am thrilled to be sharing a recipe for Christmas pudding that Maureen shared on her Christmas blog, Yuletide Seasonings.

Yuletide Seasonings

I must admit that I have not made a Christmas pudding from scratch. Mr Attorney's father is the pudding maker for our family. He makes a delicious pudding and so I figured why try improving on something that is already so yummy!


The plum pudding's association with Christmas goes back to medieval England when the Roman Catholic Church's decreed that "pudding should be made on the 25th Sunday after Trinity, that it be prepared with 13 ingredients to represent Christ and the 12 apostles, and that every family member stir it in turn from east to west to honour the Magi and their supposed journey in that direction". 

Traditionally puddings were made on or immediately after the Sunday "next before Advent", i.e. four to five weeks before Christmas. The collect for that Sunday in the Book of Common Prayer of the Church of England, as it was used from the 16th century (and still is in traditional churches), reads:"Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may by thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen"

Last-minute Christmas pudding

The day became known as "Stir-up Sunday". Traditionally everyone in the household, or at least every child, gave the mixture a stir and made a wish while doing so.

Making the Christmas Pudding, 1848 Giclee Print

It was not until the 1830s that the familiar ball shaped pudding of flour, fruits, suet, sugar and spices, all topped with holly, made a definite appearance, becoming more and more associated with Christmas.




There are so many recipes out there for Christmas pudding!


Here is Maureen to share a very different Pudding recipe 
from WWII

We often wonder what life was like prior to our lifetimes. So, I often ponder about Christmas during WWII. Yes, I do think about these things! :)

So I was intrigued when I came across this image on the London Visitor Guide website.




Rationing made things difficult for splurging on non essential ingredients, so people had to make do with what was on hand and abundant. The above recipe calls for potato and carrots...

Here is another version of Wartime Christmas Pudding...


I'm going to attempt this 2nd recipe as we get closer to Christmas.
Wish me luck!


2oz plain flour
½ level teaspoon baking powder
½ level teaspoon grated nutmeg
¼ level teaspoon salt
¼ level teaspoon cinnamon
1 level teaspoon mixed spice
2-4 oz suet or fat
3oz sugar
½ - 1lb. mixed dried fruit
4 oz. breadcrumbs
1 oz. marmalade
2 eggs, fresh or dried
¼ pint rum, ale, stout or milk

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and spice together. Add the sugar, fruit and breadcrumbs and grated suet or melted fat. Mix with the marmalade, eggs and rum, or other liquid. Mix very thoroughly. Put in a greased basin, 2 pt. size. Cover with greased paper and steam for 4 hours. Remove the paper and cover with a fresh piece and a clean cloth. Store in a cool place. Steam 2 to 3 hours before serving. The steaming is best done by standing the basin in a saucepan with water coming a third of the way up the sides of the basin. Keep the water boiling gently over a low heat. It may be necessary to add a little more water during cooking but be sure the water is boiling when added.


******
Well Maureen, I hope you achieve success when you make this pudding. Don't forget to tell us all about it when you have made it and tried it!

If Christmas pudding isn't your thing, perhaps you might like to try a Christmas cake? I don't mean the boring old-fashioned Christmas cakes that could be used as door-stops! I mean a chocolatey and boozy Christmas cake...Nigella style!



I made this cake last year and it really is delicious! Unbelievably, I didn't take a photo but I can tell you that everyone in my family enjoyed it, even my Christmas cake connoisseur father who normally only eats my mother's fruitcake!

So, have you made a Christmas pudding or fruitcake before? Are you willing to share your recipe with your favourite bloggy friends?! If you would like to share your Christmas cake/pudding recipes with us today, please link up below. Like I have mentioned before, there is no requirement to link back to me but if you would like spread some Christmas cheer, I would be so thrilled!

5 Minutes Just For Me





Thanks again for visiting today! We are now half way through the 12 Days of Christmas Traditions Series-how exciting! I hope will be able to join me again tomorrow as I am welcoming another guest poster who will be telling us how Christmas is celebrated and enjoyed around the world.

Blessings and best Christmas wishes,
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...