Monday, July 18, 2011

Ice Cream Christmas Pudding

As you would know Christmas day in Australia is usually very hot. We haven't caught on to the whole cookie exchange concept yet, probably because it is too hot to keep baking all day! Since it is so hot many Australians tend to have cold foods on the big day. Many families serve cold seafood, salads or have family BBQ's by the pool. However, since my mum is from England we always have turkey (with stuffing), baked ham and Christmas pudding. Now I am not a huge fan of all the peel that goes into a traditional pudding so I always make one that is made with ice-cream, chocolates, cranberries and macadamia nuts...YUM!

To make this yummy ice-cream pudding add:

2 bars of white chopped white chocolate

2 Peppermint crisp bars


2 small toblerone bars



1 cup roasted macadamia nuts



About a cup of cranberries (I usually use dried but I found these ones a couple of weeks ago and they worked beautifully)


And 2 litres of softened vanilla ice cream

I then add about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and then mix everything together in a large bowl. When mixed well, place into a pudding bowl, glass bowl or even a cake tin that is shaped like a pudding bowl) that has been lined with cling film. Leave some cling film hanging over the edges of the bowl so you can cover the ice cream and then place the bowl in the freezer overnight.

When it is time to serve the pudding take it out the freezer for a few minutes and then turn it out onto a plate. I then drizzle it with chocolate topping (the one that dries hard) but you can also top it with mixed berries.

Voila!


This is such a great recipe because it is easy and it has to be prepared in advance-one less thing to have to worry about Christmas day!

I made this ice cream pudding for a Christmas lunch that we had at the in-law's place last year ago. 

Here are some pictures of our Christmas table and our yummy food:


We always have crystal glasses for special occasions!


We ate roasted chicken and glazed ham, roasted potatoes and pumpkin, steamed broccoli and cauliflower with white sauce. I think the dishes are from Johnson Brothers but I could be wrong....


Dessert was a traditional steamed pudding with brandy custard and ice-cream pudding.

 

Boy, I can't wait for Christmas this year so I can make this again! Maybe I should make it for my Christmas in July party next week as well, after all, any time is good time for icecream!

Today I would like to share a recipe for Christmas ice-cream pudding for a few parties! I will be linking up to
Foodie Friday with Michael Lee,


Seasonal Sunday Teapot copy

Join in for the 3rd Annual Ice Cream Social the weekend of July 16th & 17th.

On the Menu Monday @ Stonegable



StoneGable
Take care and best Christmas wishes,



For centuries men have kept an appointment with Christmas. Christmas means fellowship, feasting, giving and receiving, a time of good cheer, home. W.J. Ronald Tucker

20 comments:

  1. The ice cream pudding sounds great Natasha! I bet the kids, big and small, love it:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natasha, Your ice cream pudding sounds and looks great! Your whole Christmas dinner loos delicious and I love the dishes.
    xo Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natasha!

    I hope you are staying warm. I love this idea. I made a figgy pudding once for Christmas. It wasn't terribly popular with the family. How can you go wrong with ice cream, macadamia nuts, and candy? Ho-Ho-Ho!

    Thanks so much for linking up! Have a great weekend! La

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natasha that would be wonderful any time of the year. Thanks, I will share it with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious...we make a Christmas dessert called Chocolate Pudding. It's a cake sort of dessert made with lady fingers. Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I have a giveaway going on now so stop by if you have time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks soooooo yum! thanks for sharing, I am definately making this for my mob, they will love it!
    Hugs
    jen xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am over from Seaasonal Sunday. You have a fantastic blog....love the Christmas all year round. I am a Xmas junkie so I am thrilled I found your blog!! I am your newest follower, looking forward to upcoming posts. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you have a Christmas blog year round! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this place...and now I'm really hungry. Your pictures look so delicious. I also took a peek at the next post and loved those trees.

    Thank you for stopping by, Natasha. I am ecstatic to hear you'll be participating in the White Christmas in July blog party. Spread the news! I can't wait to see what you'll share.

    Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great summer time treat. Perfect for your summery Christmas table :-) I have never seen the peppermint crisp bars here but I sure what love to try one. I'll have to look next time I'm in Canada because they have a selection of candy closer to England & Australia. I'm so glad you joined in for the Ice Cream Social. You know ice cream is good in winter too :-) Mark your calendar because we will do it all again next year! By the way I love your Blog concept.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ice cream pudding looks delicious! And so does that plate of food you prepared! Your family is lucky that they have such a good cook! Have a nice week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Johnson Bros. but I have never seen Johnson Bros. plates that look like that. Your plates are gorgeous!!! Of course being partial to blue and white doesn't hurt any. Please flip those plates over and show us what they are.

    Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Natasha,
    your Christmas pudding ice cream sounds really tempting, although I never want to think about Christmas in July. For me the year is rushing so hardly, I have to life the days before they are over. But I enjoyed the vision of having that desert on Christmas.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Natasha,
    What a great menu, even if it is not Christmas! My family would love this!
    Wouldn't they be precious is this ice cream pudding would be made into individual servings!
    Thank you for participating in ON THE MENU MONDAY! Your frosty treat brings a whole bunch of sweetness to the party... and the music is sure fun!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natasha the ice crean dessert sounds so yummy. Thanks for sharing it .

    Karan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had such a delightful time visting - enjoying your lovely holiday dinnerware, looking longingly at the yummy desserts, and lingering to enjoy the great Christmas music. Did you hand pick it? It is a GREAT selection! Thanks for a fun visit for White Christmas in July!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this looks soooo delicious!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so good!
    I may have to make it, just because.
    I very much enjoyed reading of your traditions and that Christmas dinner sounds great!
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That all looks beautiful. :) I'm definitely making your version of the pudding this Christmas. And the photo showing your dinner plate with the candy Santa behind it and the pretty holiday tablecloth is just so cheerful and warm-looking. :)

    ReplyDelete

Christmas is forever, not for just one day,
for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away
like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf.
The good you do for others is good you do yourself...
Norman Wesley Brooks, "Let Every Day Be Christmas," 1976

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...