Friday, March 11, 2011

Decorating with wreaths: ideas for Christmas and beyond!

A wreath is an assortment of flowers, leaves, fruits, twigs (or any other materials around the place!) constructed to resemble a ring.

Decorating with wreaths: ideas for Christmas and beyond!




We see them as christmas decorations each year but the history behind wreaths dates back thousands of years and much of the symbolism lies with Greek mythology. In the Greco-Roman world, wreaths were used as an adornment to represent a person’s occupation, rank and status.

ft_wreaths08_m.jpg

The use of the laurel wreath arose from the Greek myth involving Apollo, Zeus’ son and the god of life and light, who fell in love with the nymph Daphne. When he pursued her she fled and asked the river god Peneus to help her, in which Peneus turned her into a laurel tree. From that day forth, Apollo wore a wreath of laurel on his head. This became associated with what Apollo embodied; victory, achievement and status and would later become one of the most commonly used symbols to address achievement throughout Greece and Rome.



Since then, the meaning and representation has taken on differing views, depending on the culture. In Christianity, wreaths are used during Advent. The first known association with these now modern day wreaths dates back to the Lutherans in Germany in the 16th century. In 1839, Johann Hinrich Wichern used a wreath made from a cart wheel to educate children about the meaning and purpose of Christmas, as well as to help them count its approach. 

Source
The Advent wreath is constructed of evergreens to represent everlasting life brought through Jesus and the circular shape of the wreath represents God, with no beginning and no end.

Traditional Christmas decorating ideas | Christmas decorating ideas | Christmas | PHOTO GALLERY | Housetohome.co.uk
House to Home UK 

The Advent wreath is now a popular symbol in preparation for the coming of Christ, to mark the beginning of the Christian Church’s year and as décor at Christmas. Wikipedia

Images below from Country Living










Wreaths aren't just for Christmastime, though. 
Why not welcome a new season with a freshly decorated entrance way and front door. 


Homes and Gardens UK






House to Home UK
 Fasten any wreath with a bow and some seasonal symbols and voila, you have a stylish decoration that can change for the seasons!





Martha Stewart
Highlight it in an empty vintage or new picture frame.



Lemon Wreath



Why not use wreaths to decorate your shelves. Add jewel-toned ornaments, fresh foliage from the garden,  vintage books, crockery or other trinkets for finishing touches.






This wreath from Canadian Living is made with a beautiful white yarn and soft yellow banding.


Williams Sonoma have some gorgeous wreaths to welcome Spring!

[peony+wreath.jpg]


I love this Lemon and Bay Leaf Wreath!

Doesn't this handmade Culinary wreath look delicious with those cherry peppers, sage, safflower, bay leaves, red chilies and purple oregano!
Culinary Square Wreath

House to Home UK have instructions on how to make this yummy culinary wreath here.


Pottery Barn this cute Aviary door wreath hanger to hang your wreath on!


Since it is Autumn Down Under I think I might try to make something like these ones from BHG

Wide Apple Wreath With Greenery On Yellow Wall


fall-wreath-bhg1


Pinecone wreath

Maybe I could make one of these Autumn wreaths from Martha.

I can turn an old book into a gorgeous decoration!


Well, it looks like any time is a nice time to hang a wreath!


Best wishes,

Natasha


Please join me at PINTERESTTWITTER, GOOGLE+

34 comments:

  1. Oh my so much eye candy. Love the green berry wreath on the old chippy paint door. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all gorgeous. I really love the lavender wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natasha, thanks for the inspiration! I am looking for an everyday wreath for my front door...too many to choose from!
    Best wishes,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one thing that I really love...a beautiful wreath. I have them all over in my home..just so pretty! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Natasha, I really enjoyed this post of the history of the wreath, especially the greek mythology. The pictures were absolutely beautiful!! I found myself oooing and awwwwwing! LOL! I will check it out again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never realized that wreaths could be so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just beautiful Natasha! Lovin' the herb wreath, pretty and smells good too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many wreaths! I love them all. I have left my "Valentine's Day" wreath hanging in the dining room because I love the look so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wreaths mean "welcome" to me. I use them all over my house. The wreaths you shared today were awesome. My fave is the lavender...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Natasha, just love them all but the lavender is my favorite! Thanks for the wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a collection of inspiration you've gathered! that peonie wreath is gorgeous!

    thanks for linking up to the FLING!

    xo
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to decorate with a wreath, especially love the one with the nest, thanks for linking up with VIF.
    hugs,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm, I think I need to make wreath for the doors of my recently finished china cabinet. You certainly show a nice array, I like smaller ones but they are all wonderful...and yes, year 'round appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an absolutely delightful experience to click on your link and come over here to your lovely blog! Chock full of inspiring photos and even more inspiring truths behind the meaning of wreaths. Thank you so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using wreaths throughout the house and seeing your photos really gave me some good ideas. The culinary wreath and the yarn wrapped one are my favs! Glad you posted these, Natasha. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are all so lovely but I must say, I'm partial to the lavender wreath! I really want one but they're so expensive for the real thing. I have a small 'faux' one for now:)

    Thank you for all this wonderful eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Over from French Country Cottage.. In a time when I am trying to decide what kind of wreath I want for spring this was great.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Natasha,
    How are you?
    The garlands are spectacular. Inspiring!
    Have a wonderful day,
    With love,
    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are all so lovely, but the floral wreaths are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely gorgeous inspirations Natasha!!! I LOVE Christmas and LOVE your inspirations -wreaths are a favorite of mine too- thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Natasha,
    This is just gorgeous wreath eye candy! I had to look at House to Home UK. I had never seen that website. Thanks for giving us all these amazing ideas! I have a dehydrator I need to dry some lemon slices. I loved the old book turned into the oak leaves too. Wonderful!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for linking to the party! I love your inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful and inspiring selection. Love them all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just became a follower of your beautiful blog. I love Christmas 365 days a year too.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is some serious wreath eye candy. I love them all...makes me want to make a wreath right now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it love it love it! This is a fantastic post! I love wreaths AND Christmas! I'd keep Christmas up all year round. Yea, I say that every year but by mid January I get an itch to slowly remove stuff. I'm not one to take it all down at once. It's so sad for me. Glad to have found your blog thanks to Holly.

    Blessings,
    Shanna
    www.revampedfrenchmaison.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it love it love it! This is a fantastic post! I love wreaths AND Christmas! I'd keep Christmas up all year round. Yea, I say that every year but by mid January I get an itch to slowly remove stuff. I'm not one to take it all down at once. It's so sad for me. Glad to have found your blog thanks to Holly.

    Blessings,
    Shanna
    www.revampedfrenchmaison.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Natasha, the wreaths are all lovely. Your photos show them at their very best. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. They are all beautiful...that blue door is amazing with the green and light blue wreath...stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These rock...and you rock for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love all your wonderful wreaths. Just made a new spring one yesterday out of tulle. Love weaths all year around.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful post!!! Makes me want to go and ...hang a wreath!!
    Hope you are happy and well!
    Blessings!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  33. So many amazing photos. I wanted to save all of them to look at later. I loved the filled in wreath near the top the best. The rose wreath is so gorgeous. And the yarn wreath made me pause, I have never seen one of those and never imagined they could be done so beautifully. Thanks for passing along all of these lovely photos and for the reminder that wreaths can be for spring and even summer as well as the holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Christmas is forever, not for just one day,
for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away
like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf.
The good you do for others is good you do yourself...
Norman Wesley Brooks, "Let Every Day Be Christmas," 1976

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...