Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Scents of Christmas~ Home Made Winter Potpourri Recipe.

There are so many ways that I can tell that Christmas is coming. Decorations are up, trees are being lit and there is a certain fragrance in the air that says...

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas!

The Scents of Christmas~ Home Made Winter Potpourri Recipe.
Image from here

Christmas, well for me anyway, is very much about beautiful smells.  The minute November arrives I bring out my scented candles and instantly our house smells like the most wonderful time of the year!

The Scents of Christmas, Noel Candle









It is so easy to give your home a Festive feel with Christmassy fragrances. Whether you bring in some pine from the garden, bake some gingerbread or mull some wine, the scents of Christmas will add a whole new dimension to your holiday decorating.


Try arranging clove and orange pomanders, pinecones and fragrant holiday greens on a
vintage transferware plate in a bowl or on a wreath! Score patterns on oranges with a citrus striper or knife, make  holes with a small nail, then stud the oranges along the pattern with whole cloves. (Directions courtesy of Martha Stewart Living.)

Country Living



two images: black buffet cabinet with paperwhites; kitchen sink with swag



It is so easy to make a Winter Potpourri to make your home smell like the Holidays!

The Scents of Christmas~ Home Made Winter Potpourri Recipe.


All you need to do is mix all of the following goodies together and sprinkle with 10 drops of cinnamon essential oil and 5 drops of clove essential oil. 

Present it in a beautiful vintage bowl.

Dry rose petals
1⁄4 cup whole cloves
1 cup whole allspice
10 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
8 small bay leaves
4 whole nutmeg
3 Tbsp star anise
2 Tbsp whole cardamom pods

Woman's Day

Imagine how delicious this would smell! Fresh fruits like pomegranates look so pretty against the evergreen garland and mini conifers.Sprigs of red crystals tucked into the evergreens repeat the color of the pomegranates on a smaller scale and add some sparkle.


I've seen this picture a lot in blogland but I still love the way those cute little trees look in that chippy enamel bowl surrounded by juicy red apples!


So why not capture the spirit of this blessed Christmas season with beautiful fragrances. As Proust stated, smell has the power to vividly bring back memories of people, places and special times with loved ones. I can't think of a better time of year to think about happy memories and special moments that we have shared with our family and friends!


Best Christmas wishes,

Natasha


Please join me each weekend for the Say G'day Saturday Linky Party!
You can also visit me at PINTERESTTWITTER, GOOGLE+

40 comments:

  1. Oh, that is all so pretty...it almost makes my toes curl up! I love the smells too and have wonderful scents going on nearly everyday in my home..love it! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun post Natasha! When I peel an orange to eat it, I save the peel, add it and some cinnamon stick and cloves to a small crock pot and it smells great for hours:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty pictures for inspiration! I bought my oranges for my own pomanders yesterday. They'll "season" in a bed of cinnamon and other spices for a while so they can later smell yummy in their arrangements. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smells of the holidays. La

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful...thanks as always NAtasha.

    Today on my blog I posted a very simple, but even very yummy centerpiece for Xmas...hugs, Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Natasha,
    I love those oranges with cloves in it. I saw them first at Komali Nunnas blog and now you show them also. They look great and I imagine how nice they smell.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. These images are so lovely Natasha...and such good ideas they convey! I absolutely agree with you regarding the power of smell to evoke memory...what a wonderful point...especially during this enchanted season.
    Warmly,
    Tracey
    x0x

    P.S. I LOVE your blog and its topic...I believe you could call me a Kindred Spirit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely inspiration photos, Natasha! I went right to the cupboard and took out my balsam candles... Hopped over from Vintage Inspiration Friday~ I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Natasha! Love this post. I am getting the Christmas spirit now! Thanks for posting this. Love the Carol of the Bells by the Celtic Woman! That is gorgeous!! Blessings!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a Christmas lover myself, I couldn't resist your blog!! All the images you shared really get my blood pumpin'!! Am a new follower to your fun blog! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay Natasha. I have blogged about your Christmas blog! Am loving this!! I have caught the Christmas fever.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Home must smell divine! I too love to decorate Citrus with Cloves... have been doing it since childhood and it is a staple for the 'scent of Christmas' in our Home. I also love the "Votivo" and "Gold Canyon" line of candles and burn them year round to give a delightful fragrance throughout the House.

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  13. All so lovely! I love the pine scented candles and room sprays along with cinnamon in the kitchen area!

    Hugs,
    Debbie @ A Debbie-Dabble Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your post and all the beautiful pictures. So many good ideas and I have such a small house. Don't know which ones to pick.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! I am your newest follower from the blog hop!! Love your blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
    Take a peek at my giveaways when you stop by. I have 5 going on and everything is handmade and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your new blog Natasha! happy week end Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love everything.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I need to head right out in get some Holiday Fragrance.... Nothing beats Pine & Cinnamon to get me in the Spirit ~
    Cheryl ~ ZM

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Natasha,
    I can smell the Christmas fragrances from here, in the heart of Texas! Wonderful suggestions.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I am loving the pictures you shared! I love all the smells of Christmas ~ I usually have a few linen sprays or cinnamon pinecones out too~ Love it! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The smell of Christmas can be so many things. I love using candles and fresh fruits to make my house smell good. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Every year, I pick up a Holiday Yankee Candle- my faves are the ones that smell like fresh greenery. This year I am burning Holiday Pine which is a little more spicy but I like it!

    Your daughter is super sweet to comment over at Yoga Gal, what a lovely girl! I hope that Cooper and Alexa shares my love of Harry Potter when she is older.

    I was curious, do you guys have Hobby Lobby in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the natural decorations-makes me think of when we decorate our local historical society!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm your newest happy follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the oranges! You always have so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can almost smell the lovely scent! Gorgeous decor! Enjoy the beautiful day, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love visiting your blog so much. I would like you to accept an award for being so stylish. If you visit my blog you can grab the picture and speak 7 things about yourself. If you do please let me know so I can read them!
    Hugs,
    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am passing this award to you  http://christmas-believe.blogspot.com/2010/11/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. A sensual delight I love it all, I use to have a floral business and this brought back the memories of how wonderful it is too create with the beauty of natural elements.

    Pure joy your post,

    joanny

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have a Yankee Christmas candle burning now. I love the scents of the holidays.

    Happy Pink Saturday, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just popping in to say congrats for the Christmas snowflakes heading your way! Loved reading Karen's piece about your blog this morning...I hadn't realized all that you were doing here in Blogdom. It's delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a beautiful collection of photos and ideas, thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Natasha!

    Karen wrote such wonderful praises about you and I was happy to find your Christmas blog!

    My daughter-in-law has begun being a representative to "Scentsy" a company that sells the most lovely smelling scented wax and melters that work by lightbulbs so they are very safe. They have some wonderful Christmas scents!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Natasha!
    Deserved award, no doubt.
    Your blog is smart and beautiful!
    With love,
    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Natasha, I wish you could see my face whenever I open up your blog and the music starts to play. I just get the biggest, dreamiest smile on my face.

    I have withdrawal symptoms if I go too long without a fix from you!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loved the pictures! I especially like the candle centerpiece with pine and oranges, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. YOU are amazing! i have a pie plate in
    the oven with spices to scent my house
    right now!

    but i am throwing on some clothes to
    rush to the grocery story for your
    potpourri recipe. brilliant.

    just like YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful images...I love the way Christmas smells more than anything. We just got our tree and the smell is everywhere.....but I may need a little candle or something to punch it up.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I so love the smells of Christmas, too! I'm going to make your winter potpourri soon!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  40. Mmmmmmmmmm, gotta LOVE this post!!!! Yummy, yummy Christmas.

    My show n tell is something my husband cut out for me and I painted. For the Holidays! Here is the link for you. I do hope you'll come visit.

    ReplyDelete

Christmas is forever, not for just one day,
for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away
like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf.
The good you do for others is good you do yourself...
Norman Wesley Brooks, "Let Every Day Be Christmas," 1976

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...